The initiative of “about twenty ladies” led to the organization of a Library Association in 1896. Each member contributed a dollar and a book. The books were shelved in Mr. Jessup’s general store. The first building was opened on July 23, 1897 with an afternoon reception attended by about 150 people. The plans for the building were the gift of the architect Mr. Wm. E. Stone of New York. The library’s property was a generous gift of half an acre of land from Mr. Abram S. Post, Mr. William Post, Mrs. Sarah Post Corwith and Miss Louise Jagger Post. The original building was expanded during the 1920’s to accommodate the growing needs of the community, and the growing number of volumes in the collection. The Library’s Board of Trustees undertook a major expansion and renovation of the building, beginning in 1998. The new building opened in September 2000. Aided by generous financial donations of local residents, the renovation combines modern technology with small town charm. The architect for the project was Jay Sears, and Gentry Construction Inc. was the builder. The Quogue Library has become a source of pride and a symbol of community spirit for the village.
Announcements & News
Saturday, Aug 20, 6:00 PMQuogue Association Beach Party
Saturday, Sep 10, 7:30 PMQuogue Chamber Music- Members of Manhattan Chamber Players